News, Notices and Information
In this section you will find where we post our latest news, jobs postings and press releases.
June is National Healthy Homes Month!
Posted on June 05, 2018
If your house was built before 1978, your children and/or tenants may be at risk for lead poisoning
Elevated levels of lead in the blood can cause serious problems in children:
- Learning disabilities – Attention deficit disorder
- Hearing damage, speech, language, and behavior problems
- Poor muscle growth & coordination
- Other physical & psychological problems
Lead Poisoning is 100% Preventable!!
Reduce your risk:
- Have your child tested for an elevated blood lead level with a simple blood test. Children ages 9 months to 3 years should be tested once a year
- Have your pre-1978 home or rental property tested for the presence of lead-paint hazards
- Learn and always apply lead-safe work practices when repairing, renovating and cleaning your property
- Remember lead hazard reduction should only be performed by licensed contractors
Naugatuck Valley Health District’s NauVEL Program can help!
$$ Grants available to remove lead hazards from your home $$
Apply NOW to receive:
- Inspections and plans for lead and home safety hazard removal
- Financial assistance to remediate hazards
Naugatuck Valley Health District, Attn: NauVEL
98 Bank Street, Seymour CT 06483